The village of Gais is situated at 840 m at the entrance to Valle Tures/Aurina. It is nevertheless still near Plan de Corones and only 5 km from Brunico. A village with interesting destinations for excursions and plenty of opportunities.
The most beautiful adventure tips in the surrounding area:
- The jewel of Gais is the Romanesque parish church dating back to the end of the 12th century.
- Castel Casanova with its splendid chapel is where Oswald von Wolkenstein, the last of the minstrels, spent some time in 1425.
- The Gais culture trail is a circular path that invites to linger and meditate. Along the trail art installations honour the famous people who once lived and worked in Gais, namely Minstrel Oswald von Wolkenstein, the American poet Ezra Pound, his daughter Mary de Rachewiltz and the sculptor Bacher.
- Over an area of 200 m² the fire fighters helmet museum displays some 700 unique fire fighters helmets from all over the world and from various eras.
- The artisan weavery Eppacher produces products from natural fibres such as cotton and linen according to traditional methods. Products include traditional shirts, hand-knitted Sarentino vests and socks, cushions, runners, table cloths, patchwork rugs and much more.
- In Brunico Castle and on Plan de Corones Reinhold Messner set up two of his MMM-Messner Mountain Museums.
- In Taufers Castle children delight in seeing and touching the armoury, art lovers enjoy the Pacher frescoes and romantics the picture book castle.
- You should not miss the impressive Riva waterfalls with their zip line.
- The “grain box”, the storage room of the former copper mine in Predoi, houses the Predoi mining museum. The climate tunnel “Ich atme – Io respiro” (I breathe) is also worth seeing.
- An insight into rural life is provided by the Teodone Ethnological Museum.
- In Lodenwelt in Vandoies you discover all there is to know about the manufacture of Loden, and in the Swiss pine oil distillery Bergila everything about herbs their processing.
- Maranatha is the most imaginative nativity world in Europe with a large collection of Alpine, oriental and modern examples.
- The Minerals Museum - the most important museum in the Eastern Alps - showcases over 950 exhibits.
- The romantic mountain lakes Lago di Braies, Lago di Anterselva, Lago di Dobbiaco, Lago di Misurina and Lago di Neves are uniquely beautiful.
- Bressanone and Abbazia di Novacella: In Novacella near Bressanone you find the still active Augustinian monastery with its abbey church, cloister and a well-stocked library. In the cathedral town of Bressanone you can discover the Imperial Palace, the Diocesan and Nativity Museum, Bressanone cathedral and many shops.