Holiday in Gais...
...surrounded by Kronplatz/Plan de Corones, Ahrn Valley and Bruneck/Brunico
The village of Gais is situated at the entrance to the Taufer Ahrn Valley. It is near the Kronplatz/Plan de Corones and only 5 km from the town of Bruneck/Brunico. It’s a place worth seeing, offering numerous destinations.
- Castle Bruneck/Brunico – where Reinhold Messner opened his 5th museum. You will learn about anything relating to mountains and mountain people: MMM – Messner Mountain Museum RIPA.
- On one side you’ll find the main Alpine mountain range – on the other the Rieserferner group, close to the Dolomites: the perfect spot for hiking trips into the surrounding area.
- During the winter months, the Kronplatz/Plan de Corones invites you to ski. During the summer, you can enjoy a great variety of destinations. One highlight is without doubt the Friedensglocke (freedom bell).
- At Castle Taufers, kids will enjoy the weapon chamber, where they can try out some of the artefacts. Art lovers will enjoy the Pacher frescoes and romantics won’t get enough of the fairy-tale castle grounds.
- Don’t forget to visit the imposing Rein Waterfalls in the Taufer Ahrn Valley.
- The ‘grain box’ of the former copper mine in Prettau/Predoi has been transformed into the Prettau/Predoi Mining Museum. It’s worth seeing the Climate Tunnel ‘I breathe‘.
- The Folk Museum Dietenheim offers insight into farming life.
- The Lodenwelt in Vintl will show you everything there is to know about the production of Loden. The Pine Tree Oil Distillery Bergila explains all about herbs and their use.
- Maranatha represents the World of Nativity in Europe. Its extensive collection shows Alpine, Oriental and modern exhibits.
- Mineral museum – probably the most important museum in the Eastern parts of the Alps, with more than 950 exhibits.
- New experiences can be undertaken in the High mountain climbing gardens in the surrounding area.
- You must not miss the romantic mountain lakes: Prags/Braies Wild Lake, Antholz Lake, Toblach/Dobbiaco Lake, Misurina Lake and the Neves Dam.
- Brixen/Bressanone and Neustift Cloisters: In Neustift near Brixen/Bressanone, you can visit the active Augustine Canon Seminary with its church, cloisters and a well equipped library! The bishop’s town of Brixen/Bressanone offers a castle, the Diocese and Nativity Museum, the Brixen/Bressanone Cathedral and a variety of shops.